The Communications Manager reports to the Vice President of Marketing & Communications and is responsible for representing and promoting the Create public television channel to the public television system and to the public. Additionally, relationships will be built and maintained with public media staff, national press, producers, talent, and other key constituents.
As part of the APT Communications department, this position is responsible for the growth and management of brand marketing and promotion activities related to the Create channel, including: CreateTV.com, the Create station licensee site, viewer and licensee messaging, promotional assets, talent scripts for digital and on-air video spots, events, contests and other communications efforts.
American Public Television (APT) is the leading syndicator of high-quality, top-rated programming to the nation’s public television stations. Founded in 1961, APT distributes 250 new program titles per year and more than one-third of the top 100 highest-rated public television titles in the U.S. APT’s diverse catalog includes prominent documentaries, performance, dramas, how-to programs, classic movies, children’s series and news and current affairs programs. Doc Martin, Midsomer Murders, America’s Test Kitchen From Cook’s Illustrated, AfroPoP, Rick Steves’ Europe, Pacific Heartbeat, Christopher Kimball’s Milk Street Television, Legacy List with Matt Paxton, Lidia’s Kitchen, Kevin Belton’s New Orleans Kitchen, Simply Ming, The Best of the Joy of Painting with Bob Ross, Live From the Artists Den, James Patterson’s Kid Stew and NHK Newsline are a sampling of APT’s programs, considered some of the most popular on public television.
- Represent and promote APT and Create content and brands to press and the public via social media, and to public television stations via trade press and system-wide networks.
- Build and facilitate working relationships with producers, stations, and program talent to promote Create content and initiatives.
- Work closely with the Vice President of Marketing & Communications to strategize and implement Create channel marketing and promotion efforts including, but not limited to: events and engagement activities, digital and social media initiatives, and analytics measurement.
- Manage content acquisition and updates to the Create digital site and Create station site.
- Execute Create writing projects for social media, descriptions and press materials, and the distribution of press releases and gathering of press clips.
- Manage Create audience services and responses to digital and social media queries, sharing feedback with key constituents as needed.
- Participate in the planning, promotion and execution of the Create presence at APT’s annual Fall Marketplace meeting.
- Work with APT’s Director of Marketing, Marketing & Communications Manager, and the Web Team on the reporting of noteworthy APT and Create analytics around Communications activities.
- Track Lifestyle/How-to genre trends in public media and the entertainment industry.
- Limited travel may be required.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- A Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent experience) with a minimum of five years of work experience in the marketing and communications field is required.
- Solid professional experience managing advertising /marketing content and social media. B2B and B2C marketing and project management experience is preferred.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Exceptional interpersonal and leadership capabilities.
- Experience with Microsoft Office applications, Adobe Creative Cloud applications, digital site publishing, social media platforms, and digital measurement tools such as Google Analytics are strongly preferred. Lotus Notes experience is desirable.
- Results-oriented and personally-driven
- Fine attention to detail and accuracy
- Professional in demeanor and phone manner
- A strong interest and enthusiasm for public media and American Public Television programming
- Recognizes and appreciates the importance of, and contributes to, company Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion commitments
- Demonstrated experience in a multi-tasking work environment
- The ability to work independently under established and self-prioritized deadlines, and as part of teams
- Positive attitude, collaborative and collegial approach to work
- Comfortable working in a small company with a participatory work style
American Public television is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.