Technical Operations AssociateSummary – Job Objective:
The Technical Operations Associate provides support for operational functions, with a primary focus on maintaining media content inventory and metadata for American Public Television’s core and multicast services.
American Public Television (APT) is the leading syndicator of high-quality, top-rated programming to the nation’s public television stations. Founded in 1961, APT distributes 250 new program titles per year and one-fourth of the top 100 highest-rated public television titles in the U.S. APT’s diverse catalog includes prominent documentaries, performance, dramas, how-to programs, classic movies, children's series and news and current affairs programs, dramas, how-to programs, children’s series and classic movies. Doc Martin, Midsomer Murders, America’s Test Kitchen From Cook’s Illustrated, Cook’s Country, AfroPoP, Rick Steves’ Europe, Christopher Kimball’s Milk Street Television, Legacy List with Matt Paxton, Pacific Heartbeat, Front and Center, Lidia’s Kitchen, New Orleans Cooking With Kevin Belton, Simply Ming, The Best of the Joy of Painting with Bob Ross, James Patterson's Kid Stew and NHK Newsline are a sampling of APT’s programs, considered some of the most popular on public television. APT also licenses programs internationally through its APT Worldwide service and distributes Create®TV — featuring the best of public television's lifestyle programming — and WORLD™, public television’s premier news, science and documentary channel. APT’s work is accomplished by an extraordinary team of people who are passionate about public media.
APT has the following full-time, benefit-eligible position open and based in its Boston, MA location.
- Maintain metadata for APT content in the public media interconnection’s cloud library (“sIX system”)
- Update and verify program media information, including but not limited to, program duration, audio track information and rating, and contract dates in APT support databases, in Notes Domino, ProTrack, Broadview and sIX
- Manage APT broadcast promo inventory, including delivery from suppliers, verification of promo specifications, and publish promos to stations via APT’s website and cloud storage
- Provide support for APT’s live and near live terrestrial feeds over IP
- Respond to station inquiries regarding APT promos and technical/ operational queries
- Provide production support for APT Fall Marketplace and Teleconferences
- Perform end to end file workflow including file transcodes
- Provide basic editing of files
- Maintain technical evaluation records for Distribution Services
- Perform company shipping and mail services via USPS, UPS, Fed Ex, and courier service; maintain and monitor Pitney Bowes machine
- Assist Vice President of Technology and Director of Technical Operations with special projects
- Maintain consistent and dependable work attendance
- Assist other departments as needed
- Occasionally train staff on media tools and file workflow
- Work occasional overtime
- Perform other duties as assigned
Qualifications and Abilities Required
This position requires a Bachelor’s degree or the combination of equivalent education and work experience, with 1-3 years’ experience in media preferred.
Other Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Applications and file sharing services
- Familiarity with Notes Domino, Media Info, Telestream products, FTP clients, Vimeo, YouTube, Adobe Premiere/ Final Cut Pro, and Photoshop, a plus
- Exceptional written and verbal communications skills, including professional email and phone etiquette
- Demonstrated experience in a multi-tasking work environment
- Self-starting, thorough, able to deliver prolific volume of accurate work
- Highly detail-oriented and patient
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Well-organized, able to juggle multiple priorities at one time
- Strong internal and external customer service skills
- Enjoys working with new software/technology
- Interest in public television programming a plus
- Recognizes and appreciates importance of, and contributes to, company Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion commitments
- Ability to work independently under established and self-prioritized deadlines, and as part of teams
- Positive attitude, collaborative and collegial approach to work, works well within a team
- Comfortable working in a small company with a participatory work style
This job description is intended to be general and will evolve over time. The description is subject to periodic updating. At management's discretion, the employee may be assigned different or additional duties from time to time.
Currently APT offers a hybrid work schedule. The schedule is subject to change at any time, depending on the business needs of the organization.
APT offers generous benefits, competitive salaries, and a dynamic work environment. If you have the required knowledge, skills, and experience, please send your resume, cover letter, and salary requirements by email to HRTO@APTonline.org. No phone calls, please.
Resumes will be reviewed on a rolling basis beginning March 21 until the position is filled. The successful candidate may begin in April or May 2023. American Public Television is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.