Communications Editor, Exchange Content
Vice President, Exchange Content and Digital Services
The Exchange Content Communications Editor reports to the Vice President, Exchange Programming & Digital Services and is primarily responsible for gathering, maintaining, and disseminating publicity and promotional materials for the Exchange Content service at American Public Television (APT). Boston-based APT is the largest syndicator of content to public television stations nationwide.
Working closely with APT’s Exchange Content department and Communications department, suppliers of Exchange programs, and presenting station publicists, the Exchange Content Communications Editor assures the timely distribution of quality program information and press materials to licensed public television stations and the media to assure program publicity as appropriate. The editor prepares and edits program descriptions for Exchange marketing screenings for public television stations, manages the Exchange online program image and asset catalog and oversees Exchange’s Communications activities in print and online. The Communications Editor also contributes to APT communications, especially surrounding promotional priorities and helping stations prioritize APT content.
APT Exchange, one of American Public Television’s three programming divisions, supplies quality programming to public television stations nationwide and also serves as a distribution gateway for both station and independent producers. Virtually all U.S. public television licensees subscribe to the APT Exchange service and its inventory of more than 850 titles and 3,000 television hours in many content genres. Exchange’s signature series include the lifestyle series America's Test Kitchen From Cook's Illustrated, The Best of the Joy of Painting with Bob Ross, NHK Newsline, Lidia's Kitchen, P. Allen Smith's Garden Home, AfroPoP: The Ultimate Cultural Exchange, Christopher Kimball’s Milk Street Television, Simply Ming, and Rick Steves' Europe.
Essential Job Duties:
For Licensing Stations:
- Creates and edits program descriptions, key metadata, and scripts for teleconference screenings
- Creates and updates individual catalog pages on APT website with press kits, episode listings, web links, merchandise information, photography, online content, and other assets
- Handles all aspects of soliciting and obtaining content promos to stream on APT website
- Ensures American Public Television is acknowledged in station-created ads, press materials and on program-related websites
- Provides producers with technical specs and delivery requirements for program promos, screens delivered promos, and ensures the timely posting of the content by IT
- Composes content for monthly promotional email blasts
- Contributes story ideas, provides copy for, and edits monthly station newsletter and website
- Assists in the coordination of events for on-site screening, including solicitation and receipt of program promotional item contributions
- Assists VP of Exchange & Digital Services with research and administration related to APT's multicast channels, Create and World
- Produces and electronically posts press materials for APT Presentations
- Serves as liaison between presenting stations and licensed stations on publicity materials for Exchange programs
- Services the press both proactively and responsively with materials for Exchange programs
- Coordinates publicity efforts for Exchange programs (when applicable) under the guidance of the Vice President of Communications
- Assists Communications department with viewer services as needed
- Limited travel
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree (preferably in English or communications) or equivalent experience required
- At least 1-2 years related experience, preferably in media promotion, writing, or publicity at an agency or media company
- Superlative writing, editing, grammar and proofreading skills
- Knowledge of and/or facility with learning:
Notes software, Photoshop, and PC-based Microsoft-based applications
Web content management systems
- Familiarity with social media best practices (Pinterest, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram)
- Fine attention to detail
- Professional demeanor and phone manner
- An interest in public television programming a plus
- Demonstrated experience in a multi-tasking environment and ability to work independently under established and self-prioritized deadlines, and as part of teams
- Positive attitude, collaborative and collegial approach to completing work
- Comfortable working in a small company with a participatory work style
This job description is intended to be general and will evolve over time. The description is subject to periodic updating. At management's discretion, the employee may be assigned different or additional duties from time to time. APT offers generous benefits, competitive salaries, and a dynamic work environment. Send your resume, cover letter, and salary requirements by email to HRExchangeEditor@APTonline.org.
APT is an equal opportunity employer. No phone calls, please.